Monday, August 20, 2012

How It Is Today

This is how it is today with my dad. 

First, we had a perfectly lucid and even somewhat philosophical conversation about racecar driving.  He talked all about having your head in the game, and how a driver really needs to make the decision to drive long before he gets in his car, and how this is a decision only the driver can make. 

A nice thunderstorm rolled in and we opened the curtains and sat companionably watching.  I was on the couch with the dog, and she was scared.  So Dad actually got up and came over to sit on the couch with the dog between us, and he stroked her tail and feet to help calm her. 

Then he got up and started walking along the couch.  He stopped in front of me, and I looked up at him and joked "are you going to sit on me?"  He kindof chuckled and looked sheepish, and then did a joking backwards shuffle back to his spot and sat down, laughing and shaking his head.   A few minutes later, he stood up again, and I asked where he was going.  He said "some refer to it as up, some refer to it as down.  I call this the 'duh' position."  But then he walked over.  I asked again if he was going to sit on me, and this time he looked very confused.  He said no, and then very hesitatingly continued to shuffle past me.  I asked where he was going, and he said he didn't know.  A few steps later, he barely rounded the corner table and oh-so-slowly tipped over.  He just managed to catch himself on the wall, and by then I got there and got hold of him.  Both shaking, we got him back to where I had been sitting.  Then he got up and went to bed. 

This is how it is today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home