Thursday, January 08, 2015

a night

This was our night...

Thorin goes to bed with us at about 10.  At 11:30, he is awake and whining, enough so that I get up and take him out.  Joy.  Dizzy, bleary, obscure.

1:30, Glen and I both wake up and look at each other.  What was that?  Hmmm.  No further sounds noted as we both fall asleep again...

3:15.  Oh.  I know what the noise is.  The noise is a smoke detector, clearly intent on evil and with a dying battery, chirping to wake the dead every inconsistent two minutes or so.  Ugh.  Thorin awake, can I pacify him and convince him to go back to sleep?  Perhaps, but then I detect other doggy toes in the hallway as apparently Hugger has freed herself from her usual bounds in Emma's room.  (Sidenote: since the end of the summer, Emma, owner of a completely overactive imagination, has kept Hugger barricaded in her room at night as if that might offer protection and comfort...)  I get up to put Hugger back in Emma's room, then return to my own because now Thorin is leaping and yipping frantically and Glen is up pulling on pants and glasses with a low steady stream of curses.  I tell him I'll take Thorin, but then I hear Hugger back in the hallway after apparently hurdling two sets of barricades again, so I tell him to take Hugger out the other way.  I attempt to get Thorin downstairs then, but of course he is so excited to see Hugger and it's been hours since he was out and he pees a line as I drag him out of the room...  As I try to head down the stairs, Hugger is frantically trying to follow me.  I get it now, it's the chirping making her frantic, but I know that in her panic she will never get down the stairs without sliding and so I am trying to shove her back out of the way and lock the gate and still hold a small ton of wiggling Thorin in my arms because he hasn't mastered the art of walking down stairs yet either.  Somehow I get to the bottom without tumbling to my death, but of course while struggling to pull on my coat Thorin completely loses it and pees in the kitchen.  OK, so that's two, right?  Sigh.

Outside, luckily, he is better and does his thing with appropriate alacrity for a cold winter night.  Except then we hear Glen calling Hugger in the other yard.  And Hugger is not coming.  I can hear it, hear his voice getting more frustrated, hear the upper door slam, open, slam again as he goes back in to actually get coat and shoes and clomps across the snow to physically drag the stricken Hugger back into the demonic chirping house.

Finally, Thorin mobilizes again and we go back in the house.  Up the stairs, back in the cage, back down to get cleaning stuff for both pees...  Hugger still wandering about freaked, so I take her back down the garage stairs, drag her through the outside breezeway to get her back down stairs into the living room, which is the furthest I can get her from the noise thing, and leave her there to fend, slamming the lower gate in her face to prevent her frantically following me back up the #$%%^&* main stairs.  Back to the bedroom to calm Thorin, then wandering about the house to find that of course it's the highest possible out of reach detector, not accessible except by the big heavy ladder (which is in its proper place downstairs in the garage).

Back to bed then, no hope of stopping the sound for the night.  Glen is already asleep, face down as if nothing ever happened.  expletive, expletive, expletive  I can only say that the last note in this story was when I was awakened at 6:00 by Glen screaming and swearing again.  Apparently the cleaning ladies the day before had left the shower head turned toward the shower door.  And so ends our night.  Shalom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home