Wednesday, May 13, 2020

My mail campaign

I have been sending all sorts of mail to friends and family.  I first got the idea when we started out morning "prayer and share" gatherings over zoom and I realized some of my friends are living alone and very isolated.  The first was an envelope of prayers by John Philip Newell from Praying for the Earth.  Then I sent some poems I found on the poetry.org website in their shelter poems series.  It took off from there.  My list has grown and now I am sending cheer mail to like 25 people.  One of the mailings I did was for Easter.  It included this poem and a feather.  (Yes, a real feather.  I got them from Michael's.)   Todd teases that I am keeping the US postal service in business, but Margaret calls it an amazing ministry and there have been many times when it seems my notes make their way to just the right person at just the right time.  I am thankful to be His servant.


Hope is the thing with feathers
Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home