Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Emma stands!


So, quick update on the motor skills progress of our little munchkin...

True story: One day not long after Christmas, I was in Emma's room putting away laundry. She was playing in her crib, and I had my back to her, when all of a sudden I hear this laugh that can only be described as pure glee. I turn and look, and surprise! There she is, standing for the very first time on her own, looking at me over the rails of her crib, holding onto the top rail for dear life and grinning ear to ear! She was so proud and excited! And me too! I swooped over to her and smothered her with kisses, both of us laughing. My genius baby! I know she's just little still, but I am so proud of her and I tell her that often. I hope she knows somehow. I had an interesting discussion with a friend about how our parents influenced us as children and the specific things they did that translate to who we are now. One of the things I know my parents did that made me who I am is their constant support. No matter what I did or what directions my interests wandered in (and they were legion), they always showed me they were proud of me (or told me why they weren't so I could fix it). I want Emma to have that same assurance and support - that strong base that lets her venture out into the world bravely and with a smile and the knowledge that wherever she goes, she will have me and Glen. Saw a neat sign the other day for a baby's room that I think I'll copy for her room: Home is where you begin. I like that.


So, after standing... Now she is able to stand and balance herself with a table or with one of our hands, letting her own hands go one at a time - right, switch, left, switch, right - look ma! No hands! (Plop.) She's also starting to be able to pull herself up using the coffee table or push up using a knee or low box. AND she can walk hanging onto one finger on each hand. Glen and I watch her every day together and cheer with her, and she smiles like crazy for us. All these moments, still, sleep or no sleep, are the greatest in the world. Our family. In the immortal words of her bird toy: Yippee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home