Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Daycare begins

So, Emma started daycare yesterday. I cried, she cried, we both got hugs from the caregivers... Actually, it wasn't as bad as I feared. Glen came with us for awhile, which helped alot. He was able to play with her and show her some of the neat toys while I got better acquainted with the "misses" and gave them some details of her care. I did well until at one point I tried to move away and she grabbed me (by my hair) and started crying. Waaa! Me too! (Or do I mean her too? :)) The ladies all seem pretty nice though. Two so far stand out. Miss Liz is one who has this harsh voice. She's really nice and she's been friendly and interested in Emma, but if I couldn't see her body language along with the voice I'd swear she was just plain mean! This morning as I left she was laughing at Emma (who was crying again) and obviously trying to distract her and get her to smile, but without looking it would have seemed like she was laughing this evil laugh at my baby's tears... Very Wizard of Oz. Miss Cleo so far seems to be the one mostly caring for Emma, and I've had a few really nice talks with her. She's big and gives off this protective feeling like she's definitely watching over, and I want to call her Mama Cleo instead. They invited me to come anytime to peek in at Emma through the windows. (Later I'll get to have lunch or whatever, but while she's getting used to everything it's best just to let her do it!) Anyway, of course today the one time I go to peek at her she's crying. Sigh. It's so hard leaving her! I did see one of the misses nearby, and a few minutes later she was getting her bottle, so I have to believe that they're being good with her. Miss Cleo also came out to tell me she seems to be teething again, molars this time. Poor baby! As if it wasn't tough enough getting used to all these new people and kids and sounds. Not surprising though, I even found her sucking her thumb yesterday (which she hardly ever does). Or maybe it's been coming and it's just the unfamiliar surroundings that are making her less happy to deal with it. Still, I watched lots of other kids getting dropped off this morning who were running in before their parents. Not a single one being dragged... So, I imagine Emma will be much the same before long. She was happy enough when I got her last night. She immediately started talking, and we all laughed because it sounded for the world like she was telling me about her day! And this morning she was happy enough and playing with her little tongue stuck out just fine until she realized I was leaving. Just have to keep hoping for the best and we'll take one day at a time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home