Tuesday, February 13, 2007

peace

I like the snow. Today was supposed to be a big storm, but there are only a few inches. Still, from Emma's window everything looks white and pretty in the moonlight, and I can hear the patter aginst the skylights, and it's so peaceful again. I take a deep breath, and smile, and rock her gently.

The last few days have been pretty horrible. Emma started her first week of daycare and came home Friday throwing up. Luckily Mom was here visiting, I can't even guess how many loads of laundry she did for us. Jesse got sick too, and then I ate a hamburger I really shouldn't have at lunch the day mom left, and ended up dropping her off at the airport in a hurry as I sped home to begin the forceful, shall we say, evacuation of said hamburger. What a mess, and amazing that Emma slept that night for us because there was no possible way I could have done anything to help her. Glen did his best and got her ready for bed and did his own dinner, but there's really only one person Emma wants when she's sick... Even including Glen spilling soup all over the master remote, we managed to survive, and somehow make it to this night. Emma is still sick, and it breaks my heart that mommy's magic kisses can't make her all better, but I just keep telling myself that this is how her immune system will get strong and she'll grow up to be big and healthy and her smile will be back soon. Because really everything is different when she smiles...

Anyway, happy thoughts finally, hopefully, as the house slowly creeps toward quiet for the night.

Snow falls
and peace settles gently
over us all.

I tuck the blankets
under Emma's arms and whisper softly,
softly,
good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home